Friday, June 20, 2008

Zeitgeist - The Movie . . . Right questions, wrong target.

I wanted to join the cool kids on Blogger, so I'm moving my blog from Vox. This is the most recent blog entry to get started. I'm not terribly consistent in my blogging, but what the heck . . . I want to contribute to the online book of personal experiences called Blogging . . .

from http://dawnmikkelson.vox.com/
__________________

Well, I did it . . . After letting it sit on my computer for over 6 months I finally watched Zeitgeist - The Movie. The film is showing in its entirety online at Zeitgeist - The Movie Webstream. It was forwarded to me by a friend and is worth watching. The video I have connected to this post is a 8-minute segment from the middle of it to whet your appetite . . .

Much to chew on in the full length film. Much that pissed me off, much that I think should be a part of larger public dialogue. I oscillate between being annoyed about their approach to amazed by all the interesting points made that I have never heard or at least have not been presented to me in this way. I strongly recommend that others watch this film and let me know what they think . . .

First of all, other than the 1st third, which I will address in the next paragraph, I found the film insightful, raising important questions and ideas that otherwise would not be given light by our mainstream media. Notions of an "Investment Class" serving as a ruling class of our nation and world have been rumbling in my head for years, so the in depth discussion of the start of the Central Bank/Federal Reserve was fascinating (check out this 9-minute clip from that segment here). This film really pulled together a lot of concerns I have had for years about the rich getting richer, disintegration of the middle class, black hole of the credit/banking system, the tendency for the powerful to play the victims off one another to deflect their own responsibility for a situation, and just the theme of the corrupting power of power itself. Don't get me wrong, this film does not reflect my personal opinions on this, as I still feel like it's too much conspiracy theory to lay this all out as something that is being planned by a few powerful people to eventually control everyone on the planet. However, I cannot say that there aren't some large questions raised by this film that need to be answered. And sometimes conspiracy theororists are right . . . So in that I'm giving them a little leeway . . .

Now for what pisses me off, the entire premise in segment one of Christianity ultimately being the foundation created for this all to take place. I think they are making a big mistake in attacking Christianity as "false" and designed to control the masses. I completely agree that it has been hijacked by people in power to control the masses and that makes me angry as someone who identifies as a progressive Christian. Regardless of my beliefs, by taking the position that Christianity is a false belief system, they are alienating and dividing what could be one of the most supportive groups for the rest of their hypothesis . . . progressive Christians. We are just as concerned about the concentration of power within an smaller and smaller group of global elite and we're pissed as hell that these elite are taking our faith, rooted in love and the empowerment of those who have been trampled by the powerful, to further their cause. Without wanting to get into a big debate on points, I would just like to quote my late grandmother who said "Questions aren't always answers." meaning that just because valid questions can be raised about any particular topic does not mean that those questions can be used as proof. Couldn't the similarities between the Christ story and other ancient world religions and astrology, especially that of the Egyptians, be proof of a divine story and connection between all humanity and our faiths, rather than Christianity hijacking an older religion?

Overall, I am so worked up about this film, that I have to believe it is important and I plan to watch Zeitgeist II when it's posted online later this year. That said, I am frustrated by its tone. This information could have been presented in a uniting tone rather than a dividing one. Now I want to know who funded it. Seriously. The filmmaker of Zeitgeist is correct in asking who funded the 9/11 hijackers, Hitler, and others, but he needs to be open about his funding too.

No comments: