Sunday, January 25, 2009

Final Report from Park City

It has been an amazing 10 days in Park City, Utah. "We Live in Public" won best Documentary, much to my delight (loved the film), had interesting conversations with people from all over the world and became reinspired to continue growing and learning as a filmmaker. I swear, every film I watched I started thinking of ways to integrate aspects of it into my next film. So what is that next film??? So many ideas, some more serious than others, but all under wraps for the time being. I've committed myself to 6 months of retooling before launching into a new project. Not only for the sake of getting "The Red Tail" launched, but also to experiment a bit with my own vision and grow as an artist. Needing time to let the things I've learned in the last few years marinade before launching into the next endeavor.

I'm surprised that I've only run into a couple of MN folks, including Sheryl Mosely (picture of us in front of the Egyptian Theater) from the Walker. I'm going back to MN and encouraging anyone who wants to make a career of film to come to Sundance 2010 to make the connections that will help our MN film community grow. Overall, being a fly on the wall here at Sundance, I have witnessed the good, the bad, and the ugly of the film industry. Inspired by new technology for telling stories to larger audiences around the world, annoyed by the Hollywood system, and pleased to be a part of this international dialogue and experiment called documentary film. Hopefully my students from Ottawa University learned a bit too. :-)

No comments: